Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Approaching Another Anniversary

Next month we will have lived in this condo for 2 years.  
Hard to believe that much time has passed.

As long time readers know, the transition from our townhouse of 30 years to a 55+ condominium community was very hard for me.  If my husband was not disabled, we would probably still reside in the townhouse.  It is where the most important experiences of life happened and almost half my life was spent.  We made improvements that were long overdue.  It was pretty much the way we wanted it to be - except for the steps.  We couldn't improve away the 20 steps from the parking lot to our front door ... not counting the flights of steps between floors.  I couldn't ignore the falls my visually impaired husband had on those steps.  His falls were like little warning bells in my brain - better find a safer place before something more serious occurs.  Circumstances dictated that our time there had come to an end.

The condo finally feels like it belongs to me - and not me living in someone else's space.  The pluses of this condo remain. It is safer, easier to maintain, cheaper and exactly the right amount of living space for 2 retired folks in their 70's.  When I think of what it would be like to return to our townhouse today ... I can't wrap my brain around how it would work.  We are in the right place now.

Looking back I can see that we timed our move just inside a critical window of energy and ability.  Each decade of life seems to have its own defining characteristics.  They are usually not discovered until you are living through them.  I believe my 60s could be described like the month of March except in reverse.  "In like a lion, out like a lamb."   Without detailing all the many tasks involved in buying and selling property or the scope of sorting, downsizing and moving all your worldly possessions ... simply stated, moving takes an enormous amount of energy when you are 69 facing 70.   With each passing year, that effort gets only harder.  It's like ramping up the effort of living into high gear when nature is downshifting your body so you can "go the distance."  Opposing forces for sure.

From 2 years out - I am grateful we did what we did ... when we did it!  Because I was in the driver's seat for all that move, I was drenched with uncertainty, anxiety and fatigue through all of it.   I am so thankful that I can look back at that experience and know that there are no regrets.  

Yes, 
approaching the second anniversary of our move to this condo
 is filled with peace and confirmation. 

You can't ask for more than that!

9 comments:

Marie Smith said...

It is good to hear how well things worked out for you in spite of your reservations about the move and all the work it entailed RK.

Leftycrafter said...

This post came at the perfect time. Just last night, hubby and I were discussing selling our 2500 sq ft home and moving to a cooler climate (Our Arizona Mountains) and going down to a 1500 sq ft place. It will take a lot of work to downsize that much but..........we have given ourselves a year to do it. He turns 70 next year and I think it is time to make daily living easier on us. Than you for posting such a upbeat article today. Makes me feel better about our thinking.

Michelle said...

A wonderful affirmation and a good reminder to us all.

Retired Knitter said...

Leftycrafter, you are right at the point we were 3 years ago. We took a year to downsize and started looking at the housing options 6 months into our downsizing. It can take a while to find the right place ... and if it doesn't ... and you find the right place faster than expected ... jump on the opportunity. We downsized from 2,200 square feet to 1,375 square feet (which was a 2 bedroom, 2 full bathrooms and a den.). And we needed an elevator building. That elevator has saved my husband from steps he cannot see, and from steps I could see but could not climb due to knee surgery. Knee surgery was never in my plan. I don't have bad knees or arthritis - just an injury. Can't plan for an injury.

Helen said...

Smart move. Some people wait too late and then it is really hard.

Priscilla Bettis said...

I'm so happy for you. It was definitely the right move for you and your husband. This post will be encouraging to many others who are considering downsizing. We already know we want to downsize (oh, the WASTED space in this house that could be used by a bigger family), just not yet because Dear Husband is still working full time.

Retired Knitter said...

Actually many people in the community I live in are still working. A 55+ community generally has residents who moved while they are closer to 55 rather than waiting until they are older when it is much harder. It is a very personal choice. As I mentioned, we were almost 70 when we made this move - and probably would have held off even longer if my husband could see. It would have been a mistake, of course, but it is the truth.

Cynthia said...

So happy for you the hard part is behind you and you feel at home where you are. I can't say I feel that yet in our new house or that I love it like I did my old one. It's our second year in the house and my third in South Carolina so ... maybe ... soon?

happyone said...

Wow 2 years already. Time sure moves along swiftly.
Happy to hear you are happy in the condo. : )