Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Maryland Monsoon

View  from my deck.

Yep!  That is what is happening in my 'neck of the woods' and surrounding areas.

Everyday 4 or more inches of rain, like for weeks, but it has probably only been one week!  Flood warnings and flash flood warnings sprinkled throughout the state.  Very swollen creeks and tributaries spilling over and flooding areas.  Passible roads covered with inches of water because the drains can't handle the run off.  I heard this morning that a tornado touched down in a town in a near by county yesterday.  Tornados aren't common in our area but a tornado in July is rare, rare, rare.  Big trees 2 feet across or more falling over because their roots have been loosened and saturated severely.  In fact it was reported yesterday that a woman lost her life when a large tree fell on her house.  Drivers chronically drive into standing and fast moving water on the road - get stuck - and need rescue - despite the fact that it is report daily on TV and radio to avoid doing exactly that!  On the radio yesterday, I heard an example of total stupidity.  A driver got out of his, moved the road block cones put there by authorities to alert drivers to flooded roads ahead.  Then he got back in his car and drove into the water.  I say if you are THAT stupid, the sign on the road block should also include that no one will be rescued that ignores this road block!!

Weather has been crazy for some time, but this month, July, it has been particularly unusual.  But here is the kick!

Standing water in my parking lot.

I LOVE rainy days.  I really do.  Even monsoon days.  I remember walking in the rain barefoot when I was in college - soaking wet and just enjoying the whole experience.  That was years and years ago when my feet didn't need orthotic support to work properly.  They would complain greatly if I attempted that now.  And, of course, there are the worms.  I don't walk on worms now and they seem to love this weather as much as I do - squiggling out of their holes to meander around the side walks.

But ... oh the freedom of just walking in the rain.

My plants love this.
Although I can't walk barefoot anymore, I still don't mind getting wet.  My hair, clothes and shoes can be completely soaked and it wouldn't bother me.  I am lucky to have a partially protected deck and can generally sit on and enjoy weather events.  And I respect the power of water - and wouldn't drive into standing or moving water - whether there was a sign or not.



Last night I tried to sit on the deck and write this post while the rain was pouring down in sheets.  Just listening to the sounds of the rain as it was hitting the ground (in torrents, really) but the direction of the wind was perfect for rain on my computer, and it isn't as fond of rain as I am.  So I opted to only take pictures and write the post inside.

It is predicted that we will dry out by Friday.

The only thing that would make the whole experience perfect ... would be if I could share some of it with other areas of the country that are experiencing droughts and horrific fires.


7 comments:

Sandy said...

I've never been a big fan of rain storms. As a kid the neighbor was hit by lightening. As a teen a tree fell on the house in the middle of the night in a winter ice storm, as a young adult visiting my parents...a different house a tree came crashing down. In all cases people were ok, but...not a fan. I'm one that will likely go to the basement when things are getting ugly and my husband will be outside watching it. Hope you stay dry and I totally agree with you when people do stupid things on purpose and put rescue people at risk...they should be charged...fined, something.

Michelle said...

If you could share, I'd take some!

happyone said...

Western Md missed all that rain. We've just had a few showers mixed with periods of sun. A typical summer for us.
I can't believe that people still drive through flood waters and to move that road block is just plain crazy!!!
You know me, I'm a fan of walking in the rain
Hope you dry out soon.

Marie Smith said...

I love the sound of rain on the roof and especially at a cottage. Enjoy while it lasts.

Paula said...

That is a lot of rain! I'm glad you are enjoying it! We've had a bit of rain here too this summer.

Priscilla Bettis said...

I don't mind being wet in the rain, either, as long as there aren't thunder and lightning. I may not go for walks barefooted, but I'll go get the mail in the rain without shoes. (I'm sure the neighbors wonder what the heck I'm doing!)

We've been getting rain here in Virginia, too, but it's supposed to dry out today. Yes, if we could only send rain to drown out the brush and forest fires out west!

Nawm D Gerr said...

When I think of the times I rode a motorcycle in the rain, I thank my lucky stars we were never injured or involved in accidents. The weather can be so unpredictable.