Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Monday, July 9, 2018

It doesn't take much ...

... to lose physical conditioning when you stop moving!

I read somewhere that a 3 week break from aerobic exercise drops physical conditioning down to pre-exercise levels.  WHAT!!??  How unfair is that?  Seems like if I devoted 3 months to improving this old body, it should take 3 months to tear it down!! 

In March I devoted two days a week to a senior exercise class (aerobics, strength training and minimal stretching). and another two days to the gym for strength training.



Then I got sick ... 

Walking from the bedroom in the morning to the kitchen and back again required a nap before lunch.   My afternoon exercise was runs to the grocery store to buy ice.  

Lots of inactivity.  



Earlier this week I decided to go for a walk.  Best to get moving again.  It wasn't too bad, and the walk was slow and steady on a cool evening - with no effort to track distance or speed or steps.  Still, I did ok.



The first exercise class of the new session started on Monday.   I feel like raising a flag 'cause I survived!!

On the upside - all this unavoidable sitting and napping made my 'surgery knee' feel almost normal.  It struggled with stiffness and soreness prior to the cold - that seems to have disappeared.  On the downside - I have gained some weight.  Boo!

So I once again begin the struggle up hill to regain some endurance, strength and flexibility.  And I am considering going back to Weight Watcher's to get that weight down.

Fitness is like marriage.
You can't cheat on it
and 
expect it to work.


3 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I know exactly what you mean. Good luck!

Michelle said...

Oh my; I love that ending saying!!! I wonder if my husband would take kindly to my repeating it....

Priscilla Bettis said...

"Fitness is like marriage. . . ." Haha, that's clever! Wishing you good luck as you get back into shape!