Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Thursday, January 17, 2019

Blog Soul Searching

Blogging has grown from a solitary activity, where I wrote for myself only, into a community activity where I visited folks' blogs, and they visited mine, and we converse through commenting, and a friendship of sorts develops, and the sharing of life experiences deepens the whole experience for everyone.

Unfortunately that process has totally stalled for me.

No matter what approach I take, I am not recognized as logged into Blogger or Google when I visit most blogs.  I used to be able to leave a comment if I was persistent and stepped through pages and pages of screens matching "cross walks" and "cars" and "buses" and "bikes" to prove I am not a robot. Now even that option is gone.  After many tries it dumps me out of the system.

The only way I can participate on your blog is if your blog uses 'pop up comments' rather than 'embedded comments.'  Only one or two blogs in my reading list use pop up comments.

I thought long and hard about quitting blogging.  
An important piece of the process has been taken away.  

Then I remembered how I started!  Just me and my computer and this blog.  Nobody else.  So actually I am back to step one - but with readers now that I cannot return a visit to any more.  That makes me sad, but until something changes in blogger I am stuck with it.

So after thinking long and hard, I am going forward. Over time, if I am blocked from commenting because I am unable to prove I am not a robot ... I will unsubscribe.  I'll build another reading list of folks who use "pop up commenting."  I have no choice. I want that 'give and take' of conversation back again. I don't want to visit your blog like a ghost and pass on without saying hello.  My reading list will be substantially smaller, I fear, because I think the default when a blog is built is "embedded commenting."  But that will have to be OK.

Starting again!

I'll be back to blogging again soon.


10 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm glad I can still comment on YOUR blog, and you on MINE! It does mystify me that I can get 80-120 views on a post and only get 5-6 comments, but I do treasure the lasting friendships I have made through blogging.

RMartin said...

I'm glad you are still blogging. I have been reading your blog since we met at the Saturday Columbia Sit and Knit several years ago. My own blogging has fallen by the wayside, but I do enjoy reading yours. I will try to comment more often. :)

Rebecca

Retired Knitter said...

Hi, Michelle and Rebecca.

Thanks for dropping in and commenting. Michelle - your blog is one of two I can make comments on - so thank you for that. I am mystified as well by the recent blogger problems. For years I blogged with no problems and now the platform seems riddled with them. I even contact blogger through their Help line - but no response. Oh well - I am the Queen of Work Arounds - so that is what I will do.

Marie Smith said...

Hi RK,

I will try the Pop up comments for my next post on Monday.

I recently stopped blogging for three weeks because of problems commenting on blogs and responding to comments on my own. It has come back most of the time though I am periodically blocked out. I too attempted to contact Blogger numerous times, always without response.

Marie

Retired Knitter said...

Hi, Marie

Thanks for letting me know you also have had the same problem. Frustrating isn't it. As soon as I changed from 'embedded comments" to "pop up comments" the problems disappeared. And I have discovered that many blogs are using pop up comments and I have had NO problems commenting there - so I have joyfully discovered a few new blogs where the logistics of comments are easy. Hoping you find things work better using pop up comments.

happyone said...

So strange that you have this problem. I just ignore where it says to check here to prove you are not a robot. I will change my comments to a pop up window.

Cynthia said...

I’ll try using the pop-up comments on my blog, too. I didn’t realize you couldn’t comment and i would surely welcome your comments! I agree, the fun of blogging is in the dialogue and relationship built up with the readers.

Lynne said...

So frustrating for sure . . .
I have been beside myself when I try and leave a comment and it isn’t accepted.
What has happened to cause so many problems!

Lately, to thank those who have left me a comment, I click on the highlight blog title,
it takes me to a screen where the bloggers email address is,
I click on the ‘email’ and send out a thank you.

Now, I am not always sure “the Blogger” receives my thank you.
Pop up/embedded . . . I noticed you mentioned on a recent comment
that you were happy I had the “pop up.”
Can’t say that I know how I made that possible though, smile, smile.

Happy to see you here, hope I can continue to follow!

Leigh said...

Hi! I came by to return the blog visit and thank you for taking the time to comment on mine. I have the exact same problem with embedded comments when I use Firefox browser, but not on Chrome. I have no idea why. I still can't comment if the blogger has Google+ comments only. Anyway, this post struck a chord with me. I started blogging because somebody asked for pictures, and then to keep a journal of what we were doing. It was a wonderful surprise to find I could be part of an online community too. So glad to meet you!

Deb said...

I only use Google Chrome and, like Leigh, I don't have any issues. Not sure what browser you use but it might be worth a shot?