Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Saturday, January 19, 2019

Winter

Here we are in my favorite season.

Winter

Yes, I know I am odd. I look at this seeming perversity this way ...  no sense in joining the fan club a season that is already crowded with tons of fans - all those folks that love  💕 spring, or live for the heat of  😎 summer, or are blinded by the beauty of  🍁  autumn.  The fan base for those seasons ... just too crowded.

⛄🏔🏂
I love winter.
❄❅❆
And I think winter loves all its fans special because we are so few.


My holiday season passed without problems - thankfully.  Family and friends filled the days with happiness.  It is always a hard season for me, but my reward, as always, is reaching Winter.  Lovely, cold, crisp air, at times white, wet and pure.  Weather that draws one inside for indoor activities - like reading, hot coffee, knitting, binge TV shows, blankets and shawls, soups and stews, and ... time to think.

Think on it!  Who wouldn't love sitting by a warm fire, with comfortable fuzzy slippers on, a tasty drink beside you and a favorite book or favored hobby on your lap - while Nature covers the outside with a dressing of white snow.

Of course, it would help to have a fire place, which I do not.  But you get the idea.

Forecasts for our area promise an 'active' snow-filled winter.  Living in a condo means snow is not a problem.  I can enjoy the beauty of this season without effort. Win-win!

When I was younger and working - snow was still beautiful but a challenge.  First I would fight my way shoveling down my short sidewalk from the front door, then down 20 snow filled steps filled with the shovel  - then across another short side walk until I reached my car - and then (not done yet ...) dig out the car and the space behind it until I could reach the plowed areas.  I get exhausted now even talking about.  So glad I left that behind.

I am a good snow driver even though I don't venture out much now.  I was taught to snow-drive by a father who was raised in Pennsylvania.  Those Pennsylvania folks know what they are doing in snow.  I learned the survival techniques of not getting myself stuck as well as how to avoid all those nutty drivers who have no skills and no snow capable vehicle.  Those skills saved me more times than I can count.  Working in health care I was one of those folks who needed to get on the road and arrive at work no matter the weather.  My boss was a Cardiologist who arrived at work on skis and if one of his heart patients showed up in bad weather (and they usually did) he would see them.  I personally would have thought driving in those tough conditions was enough of a cardiac 'stress test' and that putting them on a treadmill was redundant!!  Ha.

So I am looking forward to my exciting weather season ... just as I do every year!

Welcome Winter!
❄❅❆
Your small but dedicated fan base is faithfully here.





9 comments:

Theresa said...

Another winter is the best season fan here! And learning to drive in MA and VT has served me well here in the mountains of Southern Oregon. My grandparents lived in Yardley PA, it was a lovely little town.

Lynne said...

Another winter fan here . . .
There are some who can’t understand my sadness of not having a snowy winter.
I love the cold, love to walk in it, and when snowy, love it even more.
Grew up with brisk winters, ice skating, library and many good books . . .
3-4 inches arrived here last night, a soft blanket, wish it had been a blizzard . . .
I think winter driving forces people to slow down, think of the other person, to be careful and considerate.
I love winter, and I have a great book for today!

Marie Smith said...

You are one of the few winter lovers for sure. Enjoy!

happyone said...

I never cared much for winter and snow until I moved up here. Now I have come to love it with all the snow. It is beautiful.

A :-) said...

So glad you stopped by my blog - and so glad you could leave a comment! Happy to have found yours, as well. :-) Got a dump of snow here, that's for sure.

Michelle said...

I'm a fall lover, but winter here is just fall without the autumn colors – snow is, if not exactly rare, at least infrequent and not a given every year. Plus, it's closer to summer than fall is. ;-)

Leigh said...

I'm a transplanted Northerner who used to think she missed northern winters. I guess I've been in the South too long now, because I now don't miss them at all, LOL.

Cynthia said...

Living in Minnesota most of my life, i got REAL tired of winter. I enjoyed skiing and snowshoeing but not all the shoveling, subzero cold, or walking and driving on ice. Then i moved to South Carolina, and now winter IS my favorite season, the one when the bugs, the humidity, and most of the tourists are gone. It’s the only season i can enjoy being outside in comfort. However, here winter is only a few weeks long while UpNorth winter is endlessly long! Months long! Years long! Completely unfair!
Glad you are enjoying your favorite season in comfort.

Retired Knitter said...

Theresa - another winter fan!! Actually I think PA is filled with many wonderful little towns.

Lynne - I actually feel cheated of an official winter if we don't get a snow of 6 inches or more. I love it.!

Marie - I knew there would be a few among my readers who loved the other seasons. You didn't say which season you preferred!

HappyOne - you have such a beautiful area to enjoy snow in

A:-) - "a dump of snow" - that paints a picture!!

Michelle - I would imagine taking care of all you animals in snow would be really hard.

Leigh - I have relatives in Florida who were transplanted from NY - they are so adjusted to their Florida climate that it is "winter" when the temps touch the 50s. Funny how the human body adjusts.

Cynthia - ah yes, winter kills the bugs! I forget that other plus. I am not a big bug person for sure. :-)