Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Apologies to my children

Have you ever felt like a deficiency in your personality
 is beyond your ability to fix?

Do you struggle with a "just nuts" personal behavior and you fear it will be part of your life until you draw your last breath?  To make matters worse, could this unwanted 'whatever' behavior be a burden to your family after you die.  And because you can't seem to change that 'whatever,' all you are left with is an apology?!?

Think on it!  I'll give you a moment.  What would you apologize for after you are dead?

It can't be the typical stuff like losing weight, exercising more or leading a healthier life, because that lack of self control only impacts you - and not those left behind after death!  Deficiencies in kindness, consideration, generosity, gratitude or love don't count either ... because, again, after your death, it doesn't impact anyone else.  In fact, if your are a selfish, insensitive clod in life, others might be glad when you are gone.  Ha!

But give it some thought.

Still no ideas?
Here is a hint!

You come into this life with absolutely nothing
 and you leave it exactly the same way.

I have told this story before but its worth repeating.  My Uncle died suddenly in his 90s. He died within a month of my mom's death. My cousin (his son) called me to offer condolences and to share a family story or two.  One story that made a BIG impression was the positive 'gift' he left for his children after death.  In settling his estate, his children entered his house to prepare it for sale. They discovered a house almost totally devoid of everything, except the actual items he needed for living.   Closets and cabinets were bare, counter and furniture tops were clear ...  the basics of living were all that was left.  Simplicity in its purest form.

Now why do I go through this elaborate exercise to only end up with an apology?

I don't believe my children follow my blog.  They may never receive this apology in the present.  But after I die and they are summing up all the little details of my life, (which I intend to leave as neat and tidy as my Uncle's house,)  they may come across this blog.  They may read the title - Apologies to My Children.  They might read and understand that I wasn't totally insensitive in the burden I left behind for them.

You see, despite all my other good intentions, there will be this mountain of yarn that will greet my children when they come into my condo.  Beautiful colors and wonderful fibers and luscious to the touch ...  all just waiting for someone who knits to pick them up and ease them into a perfect project.  *sigh*.  It pains me to know that much of my yarn will 'out live' me ... still waiting in their turn in balls and cakes and skeins ... patiently waiting and waiting.

I have long since accepted that I can't fix this yarn hoarding problem.  Yes, I downsized yarn, books and knitting tools when we moved. Prior to that I did a massive inventory of exactly how much yarn I had.  That was an eye opening and embarrassing experience.  It did slow the flow of yarn into the house.  I even revised that inventory a second time - only to discover that despite my best efforts, I couldn't knit faster than I could buy yarn.  But still I struggled manage this.  I deleted yarn vendor emails.  I stopped buying knitting books.  I didn't visit local yarn shops.  I only shopped for knitting patterns that would work for yarn already in my stash!!

But there were some exceptions to this 'yarn fasting.'   I did go to Yarn Fairs during the year - only 2 fairs and yarn was purchased there in very modest amounts (read: normal amounts for normal people.)  And when babies joined our family, cashmere, merino and silk just didn't seem quite right for children's clothes.  So acrylic yarns were added to my stash.  I also added a small amount of fat yarn to my stash - I needed a palette cleansing after almost a year of skinny yarns.  And in my defense, the acrylic and fat yarn did get used.

But then this month I saw this pattern.

Nuallan Cape by Jen Pierce
Knit Picks
Darn!!  I bought the pattern only - 'cause I love it.   I was sure I had something in my stash that this cape would work well in.   I didn't!!  Double Darn! So I went out to Knit Picks just to look at the yarn they used.  Knit Picks yarn is very reasonably priced, but I would need 2200 yards of it for my size.  That's a lot of yarn.  I hesitated.  I set the pattern aside.  I tried to forget about it for now.  I talked myself out of purchasing the yarn.  Focus, focus, focus.  You have enough yarn!

Then Knit Picks ran a 10% off sale on that very reasonably priced yarn - with free shipping.

Done!

The yarn is sitting my condo ... waiting and waiting!  *sigh*.

So ... to my children!!  I am very sorry that when I die you will have to plow your way through so much yarn at my death.  I will leave detailed instructions on how to proceed with clearing out this stash and getting it to good homes with loving knitters.  You might consider burying some of the better choice yarns with me and some knitting needles - just in case there is no yarn in heaven.

So sorry, so sorry.

In an effort to redeem myself, I will work on my list of project for 2020.  I will do my best to avoid these impulse purchases.  But I won't go into any 12-step program to fix this problem.  I just don't wanna!!  I will apologize over and over again - probably until the day I die.  And I will keep knitting.

Dear children.  So sorry.  Love, your mom!



15 comments:

Marie Smith said...

When my MIL sold the family home after my FIL died, the attic was insulated with wool. That’s what my FIL always said anyway. I cleaned out that attic in the heat of summer and it was one of the hardest chores I’ve ever done. Needless to say, I never want to see wool /yarn ever again. Now my MIL is in a condo and there isn’t much storage so the yarn is diminished a great deal. Yay!

Leftycrafter said...

Amen, sister.

Michelle said...

This post was a fun way to start my day. 😊 And if ALL you have to apologize for is yarn and knitting supplies, your children are blessed indeed!

happyone said...

You've done very well if that is the only thing you need to apologize for after you die! : ) At least yarn isn't heavy and shouldn't be to hard to get rid of!
My mother made it easy for us. She left it all to friends! But that is another story!!

Cat said...

Um. From a fellow knitter, that is not something I feel needs apologizing for... Hee hee... Perhaps, if you know someone who is able to knit, 'will' it to them, or as happened recently, a man called our local yarn shop, and asked if he could bring it in for the customers to take, as he didn't knit, and didn't know anyone who did. Our shop lady said certainly, and people took home armfuls, and it helped everyone. Well, except for that sigh that Husband made when I brought home a big bag full. Ahem...

But that's what I hope to do, so it goes to people who would actually want it.

Oh, and the bit about yarn and needles in Glory?

A knitter that wasn't a very nice person died, and awoke to see she was in a huge store of yarn... A being was sitting nearby. He piped up and said, "all this is yours." She nearly swooned, and started looking at all the baby cashmere, merino, the gorgeous colors... Yarn from the slightest lace weight to nearly rope size. Patterns upon patterns upon patterns... She looked up, and said, "I can't wait, this is Heaven, where are the needles?"

The being cleared his throat slightly, smiled, and said, "This isn't Heaven"...

Cat

Wendy said...

As others have said, if that's all you have to apologise for your children are blessed to have a great Mum. We're in the process of considering a move and that will involve some serious decluttering but I know that clearing our house after anything happens to us will still probably be a daunting task for our children. And there will probably be wool!

Becki said...

I came in here from Leftycrafter's blog and I'm so glad I did. This was a terrific read. I started out truly examining myself, even ready to write in a comment that I have already apologized to my grown children for things, but I kept reading, thinking there might be more for me to consider. I finished the post laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. You are a gifted writer. I'll be back for more, for sure.

Breathing Life said...

Food for thought for sure. I have cleaned out too many homes after death and had to go through so much stuff. We are trying to de-stuff our house to not leave that burden to our children, but I am sure apologies will need to be in order.

However, saying that if your yarn stash is all you have to apologize for then good on you.

ps: You can leave my name with your children and I will gladly help them re-home your stash. lol.

Mama Pea said...

Oh, how I can relate to this post! All I have to do is substitute fabric for yarn and all your sentiments fit me to a "T." Absolutely. For certain. This is why I'm trying so hard to fit more quilting time into my life these days. So much fabric (yarn in your case), so little time. Well, we hope not "so little time!" Here's to both of us, and all the devoted knitters and quilters out there, in the hopes we have years and years and years to indulge in these fulfilling creative needs of ours!! Great post.

Susan said...

I am with you, sister, I am with you. And OMG I love that pattern. Thankfully, I, too, disabled all knitpicks and Webs emails out of self defense. I have already written an apology to my sisters in my will - I am weak.

Linda said...

My first thought in response to your question was also all the "stuff" I leave behind. And my stuff is much less organized than yours! However on rethinking the situation, times when I had to clear out or help to clear out someone's stuff after they passed away I realize It really wasn't a burden, Even when it was items that ended up in the trash like pieces of cardboard that used to come in stocking packages. Going through what an individual left behind was a little like having a conversation with them and there was a lot of shared memories when there were other family members / friends helping out. It was an opportunity for memories and a springboard for stories. LOL, for me I can hearsomeone saying, "How did she live with this disorganization! Or maybe,"remember how much she liked to spin with BFL?" or "she certainly loved her weaving tools!".

A :-) said...

Oh . . . my mom passed rather suddenly, just after we moved into the house I still live in now. It has been a process every few years to go through everything and downsize - again, and again. First her stuff, and then mine. My cousins and I then watched another cousin attempt to deal with a house full of stuff since 1969 . . . multiple garage sales, a multi-day estate sale. It wasn't fun. The rest of us - particularly those of us who don't have children - have all begun to live more and more simply. It's definitely a process. The yarn, though . . . I'm doing my best this year to knit from my stash as much as possible, and I'm excited to attend my next crank-in and really start pounding through all the sock yarn I've accumulated :-)

Paula said...

Ha! Ha! At first I thought this was such a deep subject. You just keep on buying all the yarn you want. And don't apologize. I have nothing to apologize for. I have done the best I could! Good to see you Elaine!

Lynne said...

First of all, I love that wrap, t-neck, poncho . . .
And my favorite color . . .
And is that the color of your yarn?
I seriously don’t think you need to apologize for a thing.
I loved the idea of writing a letter to your children, via a blog post!
We were able to read it . . . way before your children.

M.K. said...

I do understand! I have a good-sized stash. I've looked for ways to use up the yarn as fast as possible: lots of knitting with size 19 needles. Selling long scarves at the farmer's market. Someone told me weaving was a good way to eat into your stash, but I think they're wrong. Bulky knitting is the way to go. This winter I started knitting bulky scarves on size 19 needles with THREE yarns at a time!! Hopefully, before I die, I'll drag all the yarn I have left down to the thrift store and donate it. That's where I got a lot of it in the first place!