Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Sunday, August 18, 2024

Totes - How Hard Can It Be


About a month ago, before my husband’s diagnosis, I found this beauty on a website. It was highlighted by someone who used a Laurel Dennis (LD) planner and needed to carry it with her. I was looking for something to carry on a weekend trip I had planned in September.  I bought it.


It is green (my favorite color - much prettier than the picture shows) and had lovely flowers seemingly carved into its surface.  I could see me slinging this over my shoulder on my September trip to carry my current knitting project and the contents of my purse and maybe a few small purchases.    The insides had nice organizational dividers and pockets. 

I realized very fast, however, that this wouldn’t work for my trip when I took it out of the box and put it on my shoulder.  I checked myself in a mirror ... it swamped me!  Too big. Just too darn big.  It had a rather stiff structure that didn’t give when full. It could stand on its own and probably take out a few folks standing near me if I turned too fast.  😂  It was ideal to protect a laptop, carry documents, house a big planner, and as a secret weapon ...  but not good for my needs.  hmmm

Guess my search for a shoulder tote would continue. 

Then everything 

changed with my husband’s diagnosis.

My September weekend trip that I bought this tote for was a no-go for me. My husband would be in the early stages of his treatments. I was totally uncomfortable leaving him home alone to deal with the unknown!!

And my criteria for a functional tote crystalized in one eventful Oncology office visit.

I call it the “Too Much Stuff” visit.

On our trip to the Oncologist to establish a treatment plan for my husband - I carried too much stuff when I was barely able to carry my own weight.  I carried a purse.  I carried a water bottle.  I brought a knitting bag so that I had something to do while waiting (like who knits when their knee is throbbing??). I had my walker, of course  Entering the doctor’s office, I looked discombobulated (is that a real word?) - juggling my “stuff” and my walker with 2 hands and one functional leg - limping up to the front desk trying to find my wallet with one hand digging into my purse, past a Kindle, with the water bottled hanging from my other wrist bouncing against the counter, and my knitting bag dangling somewhere (I just don’t remember.)  All this while standing mostly on one leg.  Seriously, I looked like someone’s poor demented grandma with a blind person in tow and an adult son in the background pointing my attention to the office wheel chair.  I am sure that many of the waiting room folks - most of whom are seriously ill (remember this is Oncology) were thinking “take the wheel chair, lady!”  Yeah - that was a learning trip.  

I wanted no more repeats of that experience!  

I needed a single carry all - a tote of some kind.  Looking into the future our “doctor/testing/treatment” trips had just doubled. So back out to Amazon I go.

And, because I hate shopping in stores now, I am an Amazon shopper through and through.  I know, I know! I am adding to a billionaire’s profits and killing the brick and mortar establishments.  I’ve heard it all before. But I have grown to hate shopping in a store, and my husband and I are focused on avoiding crowds - now more than ever once he is immuno-supressed.  So Amazon, here I come!!



I found these two totes - yes two - because I couldn’t make up my mind.  And both were inexpensive and worked well off my shoulder.  They are almost the same size as the green one, but because they are soft fabric they hug my frame a bit more and don’t act like lethal weapons when I turn. I have plenty of knitting projects that need a home - so of these 3 totes, 2 will house knit projects at home and one will be my buddy on medical trips.

We have another Oncology trip coming up this month.  I plan to “rock my entrance” this time!! (Assuming my right knee cooperates.)


Next time ... The Knee!





6 comments:

Marie Smith said...

The first is a beautiful case and would be hard to pass up. The other bags are more practical though. Good luck with them!

Michelle said...

You are such an entertaining writer, Elaine – I'm glad you're "back"!

Retired Knitter said...

I agree. The first is a “pretty face” but who trusts a pretty face! Ha!

Retired Knitter said...

Aww, thanks Michelle. I am glad to be back too.

Leftycrafter said...

I agree that finding the perfect tote is difficult. All three of yours look great. I am in the predicament right now. Doing daily hospital visits to my grand daughter. Trying to carry my tablet, knitting projects, water bottle and even my coloring books and colored pencils. Almost feel like taking my airlines carry on suitcase!

A :-) said...

I love that top green one, but can easily see that it wouldn't be functional enough to carry everything. I have my share of totes, but I nearly always default to my old Eddie Bauer Trailhead backpack (more's the pity they discontinued it). It's the perfect size to stuff a ton of stuff into and leaves my hands completely free.