Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Sunday, January 9, 2022

No, I don’t know “what’s in it."

While I profess to be totally annoyed with all those people who don’t get the Covid Vaccine, I am not prepared to place all the blame on the continued pandemic at their feet.  

Since this is a world event, it is a world problem and requires a world fix. A world fix is almost impossible achieve. There are so many in the world who would gladly step up and get the shot if it was available to them. If you really think on it - we can’t even feed all the people that are on this planet - provide adequate housing, clean water, clean air, education.  Will we ever get a Covid vaccine in all those arms? Highly unlikely. So Covid 19 and its family of off-shoots will be with us forever. When I hear people saying we need to “whip this virus in 2022, I just want to laugh.

Just like the flu, I can choose to lower my chances of getting seriously ill or maybe dying from that little bug, but can we get everyone to take the flu shot? Nope! Covid will be the same, I fear.

But I came upon this one perspective on Facebook. It really hit home for me. I just want to share.


I'm fully vaccinated and boostered. 

No, I don't know "what's in it". Neither this vaccine or the ones I had as a child. Nor do I know what's in the 11 secret herbs and spices at KFC.

I also don't know exactly what's in Ibuprofen or Paracetamol-- they just cure my headaches & my pains. 
I don't know what's in tattoo ink, botox and fillers, or every ingredient in my soap, shampoo or deodorants. I don’t know the long term effect of mobile phone use, or whether or not that restaurant I just ate at REALLY used clean foods and washed their hands.

There's a lot of things I don't know.
I do know one thing: life is short, very short.
I personally still want to do things. I want to travel and hug people without fear, and find a little feeling of life "before”.

Throughout my life I've been vaccinated against many diseases. Measles, mumps, rubella, polio, chickenpox, hepatitis, pneumonia, influenza, rotavirus, tetanus, pertussis. My parents (and I) trusted the science, and never had to suffer through or transmit any of those said diseases.
I'm vaccinated. Not to please the government. Not to make other people do it. 

But I don't want to:
* die from Covid-19
* lie in ICU with a pipe down my throat
* not be able to hug my loved ones
* have to test routinely
* live my life in fear

☘️
Can't say it any clearer.

8 comments:

Marie Smith said...

There is a pill to take after one has been infected which will be available soon. It has a huge impact on reducing hospitalization rates for those who take it. Will the anti-vaxers take that I wonder? It is such a sad commentary on our society! I feel angry but mostly sad about the whole thing!

Wendy said...

Very well said.

Sandy said...

I've seen that perspective before also on Facebook and a few variations of it; but I'm afraid I do blame the unvaccinated in this country, because they really have no excuse. AND if they had gotten the vaccines when first available, we probably could have prevented both Delta and Omicron. Vaccinating the world is yet another problem, we should be leading by example; but have done a lousy job of that. I know we're giving away lots of shots to other less fortunate countries to help; but the US can't solve the whole world. Sadly, I fear you're right that it will be with us for time to come, but am hopeful as time continues scientist will learn more and perhaps more people will finally get on board. None of us knows what's in any medicine we take, or food we eat, so that whole ridiculous excuse is nothing but maddening. Am wondering if we'll soon hear we need to get our 4th shots and if so...I'll be first in line. We've only just started doing a few things that involve other people; but am only willing to spend time with people I know who've been as careful as we have.

Michelle said...

That's an excellent post. Will it change anyone's mind? I doubt it, but I might copy and paste to my FB page, too. Thanks for sharing it.

Cat said...

May I just say hallelujah??!!?
Cat

Becki said...

Thank you for sharing that. I wish I had written it. I've thought similar things, but haven't been clever enough to put my thoughts together so cohesively. I LOL'd at the KFC reference.

Linda said...

EXACTLY!!!!

A :-) said...

COVID Fatigue. I am so very tired of COVID. I'm tired of feeling like I'm back in lockdown. I'm fully vaccinated and boosted. So it my cousin, and yesterday, we both tested to be sure we were negative so we could spend an afternoon together at her house. I pretended like things were normal . . . but they aren't and, at this point, much of what is happening now is resting on the shoulders of those who refuse to get vaccinated. Omicron is SO contagious . . .