Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Saturday, January 1, 2022

Happy 2022 New Year and a loss in December 2021

 Finally .... I made it to January 1, 2022.

Welcome 2022!  Anyone who has read my blog posts knows that historically I have a difficult relationship with the month of December.  Sadly, December 2021 was no different.  There was another probable loss, except not a death this time.  While not entirely sure, it feels like a long time friendship may have just ended.  I surely hope I am wrong, but at present, it feels like an end.   I blame Covid-19 for this loss because the parting of ways might never have happened without it.  Family needs, however, are always a higher priority than those of friendships - at least in our family.  Sorry to be so cryptic, but I just want to say it wasn’t the best of Decembers.  Not the worst but not uneventful either.  I wonder how many other relationships have been changed or lost (directly or indirectly) by this stupid virus (a virus that isn't so stupid if it can upset the whole world the way it has.).  I wish the best for these friends as we go our separate ways in 2022.

Enough on that topic!

December 2021 is gone.  January!  Wonderful January.  The beginning of a new year, a clean slate, a perfect time to change direction, and the ideal time to narrow focus.

I did look back to January 2021 to see if I made any promises or (God forbid) resolutions.  I had not! I gave up New Year Resolutions a long time ago.  And I won’t make any this year either. But 2021, with its continued pandemic, did teach me a few things.

If I have learned anything from this year it is to narrow my focus and shed the distractions that just don’t matter.  And it has been an interesting exercise to determine exactly what my personal “don’t matter” items are.

Going forward in January (did I say already that I LOVE January?) I plan to bring my “don’t matter” items to the forefront in a few posts. Sort of like the reverse of a Resolution where you add steps or practices to you life to make things better.  

I like to think getting rid of “don’t matter” items can have the same impact.

Welcome 2022!



6 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you made it to January! I'm sorry about the friendship; I imagine many have been lost over the past several years due to ever more divisive politics which has resulted in a politicized health crisis, unfortunately. I hope you have many other good relationships to sustain you. Happy New Year!

Leigh said...

Happy New Year! I don't make resolutions either. I just make a few tweaks to my always ongoing to-do list. :)

Marie Smith said...

It is not easy to lose a long time friendship but I hope the year brings some wonderful surprises for you!

A :-) said...

It is hard to lose a long-time friend. Been there . . . I'm at the point, however, that if someone told me they thought COVID was a hoax and they weren't vaccinated, I would just walk away. I can't be bothered anymore about people who are not taking this seriously - not when the dad of a close friend waited 42 hours in a hallway at the ER recently. Not when my local urgent care is now closed because they needed the staff at another location (it's a little wild here at the moment). But I'm sorry - I know how painful it is to lose a someone you thought you knew . . . I love that January is here for you now, and I'm looking forward to hearing about your don't matter items :-) Happy New Year!!!

happyone said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friendship. That's sad.
Maybe this year a brand new friend will come along. :)
Happy New Year.

Cat said...

I am sorry about your friend. I, too, am seeing a different side of folks. Not fun.
But, with any luck 2022 might have different, better things in store. At least I hope so!!!!
Cat