Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Monday, January 3, 2022

The Wave of Resignations and One of My Own

If you watch or listen to the news you can’t miss the stories about the current trend ...                    The Great Way of Resignations in 2021.

Apparently one of the impacts of this extended pandemic is that people have reassessed their current jobs and have started resigning in rather large numbers.  When I first heard about this I wondered how true this report was.  But over time I have read and heard enough about this wave of resignations to determine this is a real thing.  It is sort of like folks have had enough time on their hands (cooped up in their isolation) to stop, think and exam exactly how they are spending their life hours and decided changes must be made.  In a few years it will be fascinating to read the sociology study of exactly what happened during this time in the group mentality.

Since I am retired I figured it didn’t really impact me.  After all, I don’t have a paying job.  No boss to please.  Even though I thought I understood what was going on, I didn’t fit into that great wave of resignations.  

Apparently I was wrong.

Starting in the fall of last year, I was very restless and unhappy.  I was in a 2nd year of a 3 year commitment as a board member to my Condo Association - and, as Secretary, I had periods where I spent at least 30 hours a week focused on board activities.  If the position was just setting agendas and taking minutes, it would be ok.  It was far more, and I was fatigued by what it demanded. And as anyone knows who has held a position on a homeowners board, it is also a thankless position.   I was so busy and stressed by this ‘volunteer’ job, that I found myself feeling a certain level of resentment when my husband (who is blind and really does need help at times) asked for assistance.  (Red flag, folks)  I would immediately feel shame at my silent reaction.

So on December 3rd I resigned - giving 30 days notice.

I immediately felt bad about my resignation because the Treasurer followed me in resigning as well as the Member-at-large board memberl.  All for similar reasons - the work load was too much and the resident support was too little.  The Treasurer gave 60 days notice and the Member-at-Large gave 3 months notice so it wasn’t like we all walked out the door together ... but it was still a big impact on a community of 106 owners. 

At the same time, I felt great relief and knew this was the right decision for me.  It was time for someone else to step up and take a turn.  I knew I had to put my blinders on and not be influenced by my emotions or the reactions of others.  

I think before the pandemic, I might have held on longer and made myself stick with a commitment I made.  I would self-talk myself into staying by saying things like - there is always tomorrow for the other things you want to do and you are keeping your older brain active in this position.  On the other hand some of my friends are showing signs of mental and physical decline due to age.  And who knows - they might be finding the same in me.  And news reports are filled with so much suffering and death from a tiny and very adaptive virus I cannot see.  Many people planned on a tomorrow and there wasn’t one.  I am 75 in April of 2022.  Exactly how many of my own “tomorrows" should I be devoting to this board position.  The decision came back pretty quick.  It was 0!

I just couldn’t walk away without giving the next volunteer the tools needed to be successful.  So I saved my electronic files to a thumb drive and cleaned up my paper files for the hand off.   When I stepped into this role, I got one file with about 10 pages from the previous board member.  Not much to build on.  But I am done now and I have no regrets.

Of course, in anticipation of reclaiming personal time, my nature is to start a to-do list of activities that I have ignored or tabled out of lack of time.  I am a list maker after all.  It is, however, my list to do or to ignore.  I feel so much better having control of my tomorrows ... however many more there are.

So ... to all those people out there in that huge wave of resignations ... I get it! 

And this is the first of my “doesn’t matter” items ...

dropped from all my tomorrows.


10 comments:

Michelle said...

Good for you!

Leigh said...

I think it's good to volunteer, but it should be fulfilling rather than stressful. I think you did the right thing.

I suppose having a lot of time off from one's job has given a lot of folks a reset of sorts. We get so caught up in our hectic schedule and pace, that there's not even time to analyze whether the circumstances are the best choice after all. That's why vacations are so important; they're a chance to reset one's perspective and attitude. I suspect many people have figured out that they don't really need everything they thought they did, especially the stress. I think it's also given people a chance to figure out how much a job really costs. When job related expenses are gone, some people decide that they were just as well off as without the job. At least that's the case with in many two-income families.

Marie Smith said...

Isn’t it funny how we are so reluctant to make ourselves a priority?

Well done. You’ve passed the torch. Enjoy!

Leftycrafter said...

Congratulations on your second retirement. If there is no joy in a job, volunteered or paid, then it brings no joy to life. Enjoy all the tomorrows you are given. Happy New Year.

Wendy said...

I think you definitely did the right thing. I know you might be worrying about who will take over from you but until a vacancy is created voluntary groups can be very bad at looking for replacements. Someone will step into your shoes.

Little Wandering Wren said...

In Phuket, I am constantly meeting people who have decided to change their lives, I feel a lot of us are assessing what makes us happy in life as a result of the past two years. As Michelle says good for you! You have done your bit and you can now enjoy your tomorrows! Wishing you the happiest of new years.
Wren x

Becki said...

I feel relieved for you. :) And look forward to reading about your tomorrows.

A :-) said...

Well Done. I know the feeling of release and relief when walking away from a volunteer position that no longer served me. You've released this and now your hands are open to catch whatever might be coming next into your wonderful life :-)

Cat said...

My, oh my, glad you did that. I, on the other hand gritted my teeth and stuck it out at a volunteer job until I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown! Finally got out, but what a mess!!! Enjoy your "retirement", there is usually someone to take over... Especially with giving them help!
Cat

M.K. said...

I just came hunting for this post, as you mentioned this today on MY post about similar feelings. I can really relate! It's a good thing to ask yourself, "How many hours do I want to spend on this activity, of the limited hours I have let?" That's a good question to ask! :)
Good for you.