Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Friday, January 7, 2022

The With Love, Granny Blanket

 To circle back around on a project I started on November 13, 2021 - here is the finished With Love, Granny Blanket.  I finished it on December 25 and I gave it to Esk on December 26.


I shortened the border from the original pattern.  It was supposed to be 8 rows around - resulting in a rather wide but beautiful border. I did only 3 rows.  There were a few reasons why I stopped early.  As I was completing the body of this blanket I realized it had considerable weight. Such a wide border would only add to that weight. 



The other reason was that the blanket was already quite large.  It didn’t need to be bigger. It was intended for a child’s junior bed and it was large enough to accomplish that.


When I finished the blanket I discovered that it was not entirely square.  I was so careful in counting my stitches with every single row.  I suspect the fact it was crocheted from corner to corner rather than side to side, may have played into this result.

I did do a wet block (without pins or wires) - something that acrylic doesn’t usually need, and it did help but did not totally correct the problem.


When folding it - it is easy to see that the corners don’t meet.  But I love this blanket and it is going to a 3 year old - who won’t even notice such things.  I totally expect to find it on the floor in her bedroom at some point - so it is intended to be used and enjoyed without limits - so it fills that expectation entirely.


I may make this pattern again - or one similar.  It was fast and satisfying to do.  But if I do make it again it will be made top to bottom or side to side - but not corner to corner.

11 comments:

Marie Smith said...

It is a beauty!

Wendy said...

It's lovely. Well done.

Michelle said...

I think it is wonderful!

Helen said...

It will be loved and probably pulled out of square even more, lol. Nice job.

Helen said...

It will be loved and probably pulled out of square even more, lol. Great job.

happyone said...

I think the blanket turned out great and I'm sure it will be much loved through the years. :)

Cat said...

Absolutely wonderful! I haven't tried one like that, when I did a " heart outline" as a part, just one, I believe I pulled that sucker out and reknit at least 4-5 times to get it to come out 'straight', so I don't know if I would want to try your blanket. I looks most excellent, and I think kiddo will love it!
Cat

Susan said...

What a lovely gift! I bet Esk loved it.

Becki said...

Beautiful blanket, Elaine. I've never made a blanket like this corner to corner (only the bulky block kind of corner to corner). Anyway, this looks complicated. I often steam block acrylic blankets if they're wonky. Not so much to kill the fiber, but enough to get them to straighten up. Esk is a lucky girl. :)

Alana said...

Very nice work, loving the hearts, and your granddaughter will love it, too.

Linda said...

Looks beautiful!!