Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Return from the brink!

Well, I've been gone a bit - but not sitting idle. Not idle at all.

Just as I was beginning to feel like I might not die, and just after having the first full night sleep in 3 days, and just as I was taking off my lucky socks - so I could wash them ... my mom got the same stomach-flu-crud I had. At 84 years of age, this virus was especially cruel to her. Within 4 hours of becoming ill, I had her rushed to the ER by ambulance. She had fainted from the virulent nature of this virus.

She spent 4 days in the hospital and was discharge Friday night. Now - Sunday night - she is still very weak and has no appetite. But she is eating somewhat regularly and today we started getting her to walk around the top floor of our town home. Physical Therapy starts next week.

Mom and I were not the only causalities. My husband started getting sick while mom and I were on our way to the ER. That night I stopped by home to see how he was. He said that he had passed out as well, in the bathroom. He was very lucky to have not hit his head. No one else was here for him.

My dear daughter who stayed an extra day to help out while I was confined to bed, was "rewarded" by getting this virus as well. My sister, brother-in-law, and niece also got very sick.

Since coming home I have been cleaning and cloroxing everything. I know it doesn't really make that much difference, but it makes me feel better to know it is clean. Mom's rooms and bathroom looked like a war zone when we got home on Friday night - we had no time to clean up or pick up once the EMT's arrived on Tuesday morning so the space felt filled with sickness. I spent alot of time cleaning the house, but focused on her spaces - stripping the bedding, steam cleaning the carpet, wiping all the surfaces down, cloroxing her bathroom. I sincerely wish that I could just open my windows for about 2 hours to air the house out. Not happening at 32 degrees outside, but if I was the only person here - I would open the windows and just wear my coat for awhile.

So now it is a race toward Christmas. I have lost a week of preparation. Maybe this is just God's way of slowing me down, pointing out that I don't need to do all the little holiday details to have a happy holiday. I am not being critical, of course, but he could have taken a less dramatic way of getting the message to me. Being pretty hard-headed, maybe a message just short of killing me was required. I would have preferred, however, that he kept this between me and him - rather than dragging my mother into it. :-)

Lots of stuff have fallen off my to-do list this month. At the top of my list is getting mom back on her feet and strong again. That would make my holiday joyful.

PS - wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands ...

5 comments:

Anita said...

I had that three years ago; I too went to ER, via ambulance, where they did nothing for me but prescribe Compazine. They said I was not dehydrated, but that most people were. I know, it really knocks the props out from under you.
Glad you're better, and I'll be praying for your mom.

happyone said...

Oh your poor people. That is just awful. I hope things continue to improve and ALL of you are well real soon.

Retired Knitter said...

Anita and Happyone - thanks for your support. Our whole family took a big hit with this virus but mom was impacted the worst - she was dehydrated - respirations and blood pressure very low when in the ER and even with hospital support, it took her 3 days to replace her fluids and get control of the diarreha. It was a bit scarey for awhile.

This whole episode sure put perspective for me on where my priorities are. I think sometimes we forget just how precious life is - when I saw her in the ER it was like an huge wake-up call for me.

SusieCraft said...

Thinking of all of you every day, hopefully your mom will slowly gain strength now, and things will get on an even keel for the whole family. Take care.

Anonymous said...

You and your family are in my prayers. I missed you at knitting today and hope to see you soon.
Jeannie