Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

B - Beginnings and Baloney


#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary blogging from A to Z challenge letter

B is for Beginnings
and Baloney! 
(definition:  The word Baloney comes from the sandwich meat called bologna,
 which is typically made of leftover scraps of meat.  Briefly 'baloney' means "nonsense."


BEGINNINGS

Retirement means different things to different people.  In my parents generation, retirement was seen an end of work, trading activity for inactivity.

I am of the Baby Boomer Generation.  I think the definition of retirement is changing.  Certainly there are the 'sit-in-the-chair' types among my peers, but just as many are so active ... catching up with them is hard.

My own Beginnings in retirement were at the early age of 59 - not exactly elderly by today's definitions.  Holding down a full time job outside the home and a full time job inside the home as a caregiver for my mother proved too much for me.  But true 'retirement' - my time - free time - sit-in-the-chair time - was not really mine until 8 years later, at my mom's death.

True retirement came at age 67.  There was no announcement in a company newsletter or big send-off party or 'gold watch' or anything like most folks get when stepping out of a full time job.  Just a quiet transition from total dedication to another person's welfare to ... well ... it was a mystery for me at the time.

BALONEY!

Within a new short months of true retirement I discovered that some commonly held belief were ... Baloney!

I heard a number of opinions on retirement from those in my 55+ community - ranging from the 'sit-in-your-chair' version to 'dropping-dead-at-work' version.  I think there should a happy middle ground.

So ... what is 'retirement baloney' in my opinion!

BALONEY #1

I won't be able to fill my time when retired.  What the heck will I do?
There is a measure of truth in this statement if you are 'married' to a demanding profession with no hobbies or external interests.  When mom died, I worried about that as well.  My focus in retirement was gone. It certainly was a 'job' that did demand ALL of me.  So I get it when I hear that excuse.  But it is not a balanced life - all work!  You are capable of having so much more!

My Truth:
Retirement might be the time to seek out that "so much more" for yourself.  If a life absorbing profession had been your experience, now is the time to balance out that deficiency.  Don't waste another minute being married to a job - a job that would replace you in a nano-second if you died tomorrow.  NOBODY should be all about a job ALL of their life.  Almost without exception, once folks step into retirement they fill their time with no effort - nature abhors a vacuum - and before you know it, you hear "Gosh, how did I ever fit a job into my day?"  And, if this isn't your truth - after trying the retired life  - return to work, by all means.

BALONEY #2

I love to work.  Why would I stop working if I love to work?
There is truth in this statement, as well.  Some folks just love the routine of work.   But most folks over 65 admit maybe working a professionally demanding job would eventually be too much to sustain physically after a certain age, regardless of desire.

My Truth: 
In my own case, I always thought I would return to some sort of job after mom died.  And then she died.  I started thinking.  I had been tied down with a profession for tons of years, then I was tied down with caregiving for 8 years ... and honestly, at age 67 I was ready for a little freedom.  I was ready for retirement.  But that is my story.   If you aren't ready for that freedom, you should work. It  still feels, however, like you are cheating yourself.  Why give that late-in-life energy to a job when you could give it to a person, or a hobby, or a cause?  Opportunities abound in fun jobs or rewarding volunteer opportunities if you find yourself falling into Baloney #2 thinking.


BALONEY #3

I can't afford to retire!
Hmm... here, sadly, is a a lot of truth.  It is scary to hear the statistics about what is needed in resources for retirement and how many people are running short in that area.  Yes, they probably will be forced to work well into their senior years.  At some point no matter if you can afford it or not - many seniors will be unemployable due to any number of failing physical or mental conditions that beyond their control.

My Truth:
If you are many years away from retirement - prepare now.  I am no financial advisor, but it is basic good sense to live carefully and below your means at all stages of life.  My husband and I started planning for retirement in our 40s - late by some standards.  But we buckled down and started plowing funds into our nest egg - we lived far below our means, abhorring all kinds of debt.  It can be hard to take that backward step in spending during the high earning years - after all the Jones' are living the high life and you can afford that too (at least now).  After years of simple and careful living to save that retirement nest egg - the transfer to a relatively frugal retirement was possible and easy for us - we still live careful and below our means, and we live a 'smaller life' than some of our peers, but we didn't have to say - We can't afford to retire.

Wonder if the Jones' can afford to retire?



16 comments:

Michelle said...

Good points, all!

Lynne said...

No.baloney here . . .
Good thoughts, I am reflecting.

Leftycrafter said...

You nailed it.

Marie Smith said...

It was my experience I could be as busy as I wanted in retirement. Sometimes I had to cut back because family demands took president. However, I agree totally with you about the Bs of retirement!

Random Musings said...

I work from home as a writer and people ask me all the time how I fill my days - umm working lol I reckon I could find plenty of other things to do to keep me occupied instead though lol
Debbie

Sam I Am...... said...

My situation is similar to yours except I got ill and then both my parents got ill and I am an only child. I had to quit my job to take care of them and then I got sicker. So I retired about age 57 because I could no longer do the work I did. But it all worked out well and I have never been bored in my life. I did have to give up a lot of things that I enjoyed but they have since been replaced with other interests. I have taken the time to take care of me and have gotten healthy again. I still have 3 chronic illnesses but they are all in remission,
I am single and although I live on less than when I worked, I have no complaints. I am a home body so I love staying home and I love living alone. It would be nice to have a 'bestie' to hang out with but I have my 'girls'....2 dogs and 2 cats so I'm never lonely plus I have God who is always here with me! Excellent post!

Wendy said...

Some well observed baloney there. I left my job before I really wanted to and it took time to get used to not having the routine of work but then the Grandchildren began to arrive and as you said now I wonder how I found time to work!

Joyce said...

I'm visiting from the A to Z challenge today. I really enjoyed this post and your 'baloney'. My husband retired young (56) four years ago and I tell people it's a process. We're still kind of figuring it out : ) I had been home full time for a while so think the adjustment has been more mine than his. He recently decided to get his real estate license and is enjoying that a lot. I don't think we're wired to 'do nothing' in retirement anymore. Best of luck with the challenge! I'm #259 on the list-yowza there are a lot of blogs to read!

happyone said...

Great points, every one.
We sure have been busy since Ken retired! We won't run out of things to work on here at Happy Trails (which by the way you and another blogger friend named) till we die.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alana said...

I am 66, working full time with a retired husband (he had a highly physical job and he just couldn't do it anymore, especially after a fall) This is one of the best articles about retirement I have read. I'm told by many that "you will know when the time is right" and "you'll wonder you ever had the time to hold down a job". I believe it and although I continue to enjoy my job, I don't want to wait too long, either.

netablogs said...

Good points! We are just starting out our (semi) retirement at almost age 60, with both of us are doing some very part time work, and so far it's working really well for us. We also did a lot of saving to be able to do this. And we live quite simply, too. My husband LOVES his retirement and is busier than ever, helping our adult kids with renos, etc. I am enjoying my very part time work-when-I-want job. It gets me out, frames my week, and I still can plan other activities I want to participate in, including spending time with my grandson. Looking forward to reading more from you!

Gail M Baugniet - Author said...

Really enjoyed reading your post today. Had to smile a couple of times. I helped my folks for four years while working a full-time job. After several eclectic careers, I fully retired and took of writing. Being able to afford to retire is definitely a personal frame of mind. My budget fits my means so I don't have to agonize over bills.

http://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Excellent post Elaine!! Living without debt as much as possible and below your means is the key to being able to do it....doing what you want when you want to do it is the best part of all!

Susan said...

Too bad I can't go back to my 30 y/o self and insist that I read this.

Cat said...

Excellent points. My Dad's retirement was the "gee, how did I have time to work?" version, and he's enjoyed it ever since. Especially on days when it's sleeting sideways, and all he has to do is pour a cup of coffee and look out the window... :)

Cat