Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Sunday, April 21, 2019

Sunday Update - Walking and other stuff

Hello all

Happy Easter to those who celebrate this religious holiday.

Just a little update - in between all the A-2-Z postings.

I missed last Sunday's check in.  I didn't want to miss today's check in.

The bad news is nothing to report on walking ... because ... I have been too sick to do anything beyond take naps, stare at the TV with glassy eyes or listen to an audio book.  I thought this might be another cold (6th of the season), but, no, nothing simple like a cold. After 4 days of increasing symptoms I visited a mini-clinic near me.  Flu A, was the diagnosis.  Apparently it was a strain that was not covered by my flu shot.

Friday was my birthday.  It was a pretty miserable day - feeling terrible - rain - and all our weekend plans cancelled.

Saturday morning I woke up even worse.  Could . Not . Swallow!!  Eyes both blood shot red red red.  So I returned to the clinic ... who bounced me to the ER!  Six hours later - after fluids to get me hydrated and a CAT scan of my neck and a push of steroids through the IV to shrink my swollen throat and blood work, and new prescription drugs - the diagnosis still is  .... All Flu.  Flu.  Flu.

And Saturday night, while I was feeling half way to human again - my husband spiked a temp of 102.6.  We are not out of the woods yet, I fear.

Walking??  Well, its been over 2 weeks since my shoes have hit the pavement - no walking unless you count the steps from the living room recliner with TV to the bedroom and back again (between naps.). The flu really takes it out of you.

All I can say is I am glad that I wrote and scheduled all the A-2-Z postings in March.  At least that goes on without me.  I am behind visiting the blogs in the challenge, but may be able to catch up at some point.

While I am in a flu-coma I am listening to the audio book Gone With The Wind.  I know I read the book a very long time ago and I saw the movie and I probably listened to this audio version before - but it has been great fun to hear the story again - and at 44+ hours of listening (long book), it should distract me until I am more well.  There is a lot of civil war history in this story, of course, but it is the kind of history I really enjoy:  how people lived, what was important to them, what that war was like for the civilians - the inside story that is often missed in factual retelling of history books.

I'll check back next Sunday with an update when I am not a human germ making machine (hopefully.)



7 comments:

Susan Scott said...

O goodness me! So sorry to hear but may you and your husband be well soon - this really is the body's way of saying REST, recover, recuperate ...

Wendy said...

Flu is not something to be taken lightly so I'm glad you got the treatment you clearly needed. I hope you soon begin to feel better and your hubby too. Perhaps you'll get to celebrate your birthday properly when you're both well.

Marie Smith said...

Feel better soon, the two of you!

Michelle said...

Oh dear, you've been REALLY sick! And over your birthday, and Easter. I suppose this means no grandbaby fix, either. :'-( I hope your husband gets a milder version!

Glad for once our hugs are long-distance; I don't want your bugs!

Unknown said...

Elaine, sorry to hear you have been so sick....same thing happened to my hairdresser, seems late for such a severe strain to be going around. Hope your husband doesn't have it now and that you and he can stay well for awhile. Really takes it out of a person. ugh Susan

Seeking Serenity said...

yikes! wow I havent even thought about the flu-its April! geewiz :(
sorry you guys are going through this

happyone said...

Oh so sorry you have been feeling so bad. Sure hope your back to feeling better soon.
I've read Gone With the Wind quite a few times. I've seen the movie a bunch of times too. It is one of the great ones.