Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Monday, April 29, 2019

Y - Young

Y is for Young

#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary blogging from A to Z challenge letter


I love discussing the idea of 'Young' in a blog series
focused on Retirement and Aging!

Is age really just a number like they say?


If you are 50 talking with a friend who is 70,
 you might feel young.  
But if your 70 year old friend is talking to a friend who is 90, might your 
70 year old friend feel young?
Or
might you just feel you are talking with a friend who has something
to offer, and 'young' or 'old' doesn't enter into the equation?


What age is 'young?'  
Is there an official number?
If you are young at 29 years old on Tuesday, but Wednesday is your 30th birthday,
are you suddenly old at 30, 
or were you just old at 29 and you didn't know it? :-)
Or
might you feel the whole discussion of 'young' and 'old' is
a waste of time and focus on what you contribute to your society at whatever your age?


If you are comfortable in your own skin, 
your natural color hair, your well-earned facial wrinkles, 
 the clothes on your body,
 regardless of colors, or patterns, or style,
regardless of what anyone else thinks of you
 ... is that young?
Or
is judging a 'book by its cover' when talking about humans
an expression of your own ignorance and insensitivity?    

So what do you think?


8 comments:

Lynne said...

Not sure . ..
when I was 17 . . . I never wanted to “”leave it” . ..
and then I turned 18 . ..
and 21 . . .
30, 40, 50 . ..
60
70
and I have felt “young” through each, all . . .
Turning 80 in a few weeks, has stopped me in my tracks . . .
EIGHTY . . . are you serious!
I think it is the “turning” that has me in knots.
and the day after the “turning” I am grabbing back on to the “feeling young!”
Promise . . .

Marie Smith said...

Some days I feel a young 65, other days I feel ancient. Today it’s the former.

Michelle said...

With a 17-year-old son, "young" has taken on negative connotations, like immaturity, irresponsibility, lack of wisdom, etc. Wouldn't want to go back there.... I'm probably in the camp of:
"might you feel the whole discussion of 'young' and 'old' is
a waste of time and focus on what you contribute to your society at whatever your age?"
But could do with less aches and pains!

Breathing Life said...

Well I am 63, but unless I look in the mirror I still feel 19! I definitely think age is a state of mind and since I plan to live to be 105, then 63 is for sure very young.

happyone said...

I think age is just a number and you are as young as you feel.
I will be 68 next month and I don't feel anywhere near that age!!!

Alana said...

Is age just a number. It's a strange thing that I seem to have more things in common with an 87 year old friend of my late mother, who grew up less than a mile from where I grew up, then some people my age. I don't think age is just a number - it's an attitude. This person travels to and from California (she lives near New York City), exercises, and spends lots of time with her grandchildren. She's active in body and in mind. To me she is not old, although her body is showing wear and tear and she's needed a heart valve replacement in the past few months.

Gail M Baugniet - Author said...

The only time I become conscious of a person's age is when they say or do something I might not. Then I consider if their younger age plays a role. I also know people older than me who seem to have more energy at times. I do exploit my age on discount days.

http://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com
Y is for Yeoman's Daughter

netablogs said...

Such a good question! I do feel younger around older people, and older around younger people. When health issues rear up, I tend to feel old. I have friends both older and younger than myself, which I think is a good thing. My goal isn't to try to look or act young, but to stay as healthy as possible, and have a youthful attitude, which means being excited to learn, not letting fear stop me from trying new things.