Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 2 - Grave Yard View


Today's walk was overcast and looked like rain. I did the walk, but I decided to include pictures from another walk taken in May - that took me past this house in my neighborhood ... a house that has been here long before the neighborhood or the city.

The city I live in has house tours. The tour cost $20 and you can walk through 4 preselected houses. The range of selected houses span the scope of our city's history. We are young. This planned city of Columbia is 44 years old this year. But the span of house history in our county is pretty old.

The house pictured above was build around 1750 - yes, before we declared our independence from England as a nation. It is about a 5 minute walk from my house. I wasn't on the tour, so I couldn't walk through the house ... darn! But its most interesting feature isn't inside.


What makes this house special for me (besides being old and existing in the middle of a 20th century neighborhood) is the old family grave site attached to the property.


The graves date from the mid-1800s. The family name on most tombstones is Worthington.

What I like most about this grave yard ... besides its age and location, is the fact it is maintained enough to not to appear abandoned, but not overly maintained as to make it be in congruent with the age of the tombstones.

I also love that the house has been occupied since being built. Imagine the stories the walls and the graveyard could tell.








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be great to get inside?

Julie Flanders said...

I'd love to take this walk, I love history and I find old cemeteries like this so interesting. I'd love to go inside the house too.

I wanted to let you know that I tagged you on my blog. Don't hate me! ;)

http://julieflanders.blogspot.com/2011/06/tagged.html

DebD said...

I think old cemeteries are so cool too. And how neat that the house is still occupied.

Noofy said...

You've got so many great places to walk in your neighborhood. Each day will be an adventure, something to look forward to. Keep going, it gets easier. I guess I'm the strange one here, cemeteries give me the creeps. The house tour I would enjoy. I loved the Mt. Vernon tour I took years ago.