Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Weight Watchers


Today was Weight Watchers Day for my daughter and I. We are both looking to improve our health and ... oh forget that!

You don't believe that!!

We want to drop some pounds so we look fabulous for the May wedding. And I know that I ranted about our culture's focus on being thin. I still detest that. I am not into "thin" or "skinny clothes" or discussing my weight loss efforts adnausium with anyone who will stand still long enough (another thing I hate). I just know I need structure to drop some weight ... more than just eating in moderation.

But I am happy to share my findings about the current Weight Watcher program. My history with Weight Watchers goes way back. In using the program, I became a Life Time Member. Without getting into the fine details, a person becomes a life time member once they have reached their goal weight and held that weight for a fixed period of time.

The program has always appealed to me: it uses real everyday food, you don't need to buy your food only from them, it promotes healthy eating as a life style change, there are no forbidden foods, and it provides multifaceted support: group meetings, the Weight Watcher brand of food easily available at grocery stores, and online support.

But nothing is perfect and there is a downside for me personally. I know this will sound odd but I dislike the focus on food ... meaning, I just hate spending so much time deciding what to eat, examining food labels, measuring, tracking, monitoring ... I hate that part. But for me to be successful, I need to do that part. Otherwise I can easily eat more than I intend.

The program is based on a points system and you are allowed to eat a fixed number of points each day. The current hybrid of this program is called Points Plus. In the past, points were assigned to foods based on calorie counts, the fiber and fat content. Points Plus assigns points based on carb and protein counts as well as the fiber and fat content. The shift in focus brings this diet more in line with the diabetes diet which is a very healthy way of eating.

And I am such sucker for "tools". Since the program is new, they have all new tools (some are pictured above.) I bought this kit and it included a bunch of very useful stuff to help you understand and implement the program.

Yes, I am happy to start this program again.


Final Note: So you won't hear me blogging about this again. Come May 2012, when I post some pictures of the wedding, what I hope you will say is - wow, you look great! That will be good enough for me.

7 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

You will have to let us know how you do - good luck.

Anonymous said...

Good for you. It is never easy dieting and I applaud your determination.

Julie Flanders said...

Good luck! I'll be looking forward to seeing those wedding pics! :)

I know what you mean about the focus on food, I find the tracking and measuring to be very difficult. These tools look great though, best wishes to you and your daughter both.

Knitty said...

I hope you do comment on this from time to time. I feel as you do and hate the struggle but know I need to do something.

Buttercup said...

Found my way over from Chatty's. I'm a Weight Watcher's fan, too. Don't blog about it a lot and not Miss Skinny yet -- or ever -- but it keeps me conscious of what I eat and able to stay in my clothes.

Noofy said...

My girlfriend dropped 50 pounds in one year on Weight Watchers. I tried it, spent money and didn't lose any weight. Honestly, I didn't have the patience to log everything I put in my mouth...one coughdrop, 1 point, ugh, I gave up after three months trial period and $100 later (with some of the tools you show). It sounds like it worked for you, good luck on your journey, you'll do great!!

Retired Knitter said...

And yes, I have had some success in the past But once I drop off the tracking wagon I get alittle sloppy. I am really happy at the weight I am but I would look better alittle lighter and I bet I would have more energy! The wedding is a ways off, but if I could get more zest for just living each day now I would be happy.