Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

J - is for Joiner

I am a joiner. You know the type.
  • First in line.
  • Annoyingly and wildly waves hand to volunteer.
  • Jumps up and down saying, "Pick me. Pick me."
  • Someone who can't seem to form the word "no" in any language!!
*Sigh* That's me!

I don't want it to be me, but it has been me for a long time, as long as I can remember. I guess I am a "social animal", comfortable in groups, committees, crowds, conventions, mob scenes and massive intergalactic events!

What is really bazaar is that I didn't marry a "joiner". He likes solitary pursuits. Always has. Doesn't enjoy large groups or crowds. Finds them almost painful. Appears quiet and withdrawn - almost antisocial. But in truth, he just prefers smaller events.

So what makes people be one type or another? What attracts such different people to each other? What makes such opposite personalities work together?

Here's my take on this.

I couldn't be married to someone just like me if my life depended on it. I would be exhausted by someone like me. My head would explode. And my husband? I think he needs amusement in his life ... so he picked me! :-)

And about all those "joiner" qualities I have? I am working to fix them. Starting with learning to say "no" in 10 languages!!

Are you a joiner?

10 comments:

Misha Gerrick said...

Nah... I'm not solitary either. I just sort of enjoy living on my own terms.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Someone has to say yes....otherwise nothing would get done.

happyone said...

No, I'm not a joiner. I don't like large groups of people. I like people just not a whole bunch of them at one time.
I really enjoy time alone.

unnamed lad said...

hi Elaine:)

it's interesting to see the different directions those involved with the challenge have taken the J. this is interesting indeed! it is strange that opposites attract one another. my wife is the joiner and i'm not. but...when i'm out and about, i jump into the fray:) when traveling especially!

Lisa said...

I am EXACTLY like you and my husband sounds exactly like your husband. What we have decided is that together we bring out the best in each other and we balance each other out to some extent.

Seriously though where would the world be without crazy people like us.

Lisa
InspiredbyLisa

g-girl said...

i love the part where you say you couldn't be married to someone exactly like you! i think that's true for everyone.

Wicked Stepmother said...

I think that I should be more of a joiner than I am. I spend a lot of time, just sitting back watching everyone else. Not in that creepy stalker kind of way, just more in that I observe the world kind of way. I like to see what I'm swimming in before I dive in. :)

Retired Knitter said...

That is it exactly. I need to be better at "seeing what I am swimming in before jumping in." Unfortuantely, I jump in eager to experience it all and the find out I am experiencing WAY too much. Then I find myself struggling to climb back out. Not a good cycle.

Julie Flanders said...

I am more like your husband, but I think you have a great point, it's great that you kind of balance each other out.

I love seeing what everyone writes about for the different letters, I'm surprised how much I am enjoying this challenge. I'll be back to see the letter L tomorrow! :)

Linda said...

Hmmm, I am a little of both! I need to have both - I enjoy groups but not all the time. If I don't have some alone time I get very cranky and I do seem to accomplish more on my own. Right now I think I have a nice balance, now just to keep it!