Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Friday, April 1, 2011

A - is for Aging. Don't flinch!



I did see you flinch!
Don't!

Think on it. If you weren't aging as you read this, you would be dead!! Aging is something to celebrate!

Ok, ok, I won't keep this up all month - like Death and Destruction for D or Pestilence and Plague for P (although Pestilence ... maybe ... has possibilities ...). Nope, I am sure I can't make case for those being cheery topics.

But Aging - well here is my "take" on it.

FAQ'S
My answers!

When do we start Aging?

The moment we are conceived! True. We start to age before we even are aware of our own existence ... certainly before we have the opportunity to buy face creams, purchase gym memberships or worry about our weight. Actually gaining weight during those pre-birth months is a good thing. Don't you wish you could have enjoyed it?

Why do we resist aging?

This is an easy answer! Our culture doesn't value aging. You would need to be living in a paper bag to not know that!!


What is the most frustrating thing about aging?

The body begins to slow down, fall short, and malfunction just about the time you become mentally and emotionally mature, knowledgeable, and professionally successful. The mind - now the mind can keep on going just fine! Hence the phrase - "the mind is willing but the body is not!"

Doesn't that seem like a really bad joke by our Creator? Do you think She chuckled to Herself when She created us and set this physical decline in motion? I don't think She chuckled. I think She laughed right out loud.


Can we do anything about aging?

Yes and No!

No, you can't stop aging. Remember, aging started before you took your first breath!

Yes, you can age effectively, purposefully, and gracefully. But it takes work (more and more work as time goes by), and there is no magic pill or short cut (believe me, I have checked them ALL out). Volumes of "how-to" books have been written about how to age well. But, really, it is pretty simple - it comes down to a few easy-to-remember points.
  • Take care of the body and mind you were given. You get only one. Don't mess it up.
  • Focus on the basics: keep your body and mind strong and active. Inactively is poison for both! (You will notice I didn't mention wrinkles, gray hair and skinny clothes. That is just the window dressing of aging - not the meat of the matter.)
  • Don't assume that everyone over the age of 60 is mentally slipping! If you are lucky you will also reach 60 years of age! You will marvel at how young 60 feels when you get there. You will be shocked that anyone thinks 60 is "old". You will feel strongly that 60 is just the beginning. Don't box yourself in now with the label of "mentally slipping" when you turn 60 in the future. You can be sure that someone will remember you said that. (Actually I will remember. I have an active list going now. You don't want to be on my list!)
Rejoyce!!
Aging is Great!!
And if you don't think so, feel free to check out of living any time!
The choice is yours!

So since you are alive, aging, and reading this post,
you should have some opinions!
What are your answers to these FAQs?

PS - I do like Pestulence for P. Maybe, just maybe .. come back later to see :-)








14 comments:

Empty Nest Insider said...

I really enjoyed your story Elaine! I also wrote about aging and now am quite worried because yours is so well done!

I just asked one of the challenge hosts for help on posting the badge. For some reason it won't paste on.

Oh well, you're off to a great start! Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

Julie

Anonymous said...

Yep, I flinched, for sure.
Aging..what a treat... maturing, now that's another matter (haven't got THERE yet). I will probably be the biggest 90 year old kid on the block when I get to that age. And that will be my first childhood. Just wait til I get to that second one.
The sad thing is that your mind is growing and developing over the years but the container it is in is slowly falling apart. Maybe that's the plan. When the mind reaches its full bloom the container splits and you are set free to roam the universe.
Great start to A to Z....

http://mybabyjohn.blogspot.com/

Lana D said...

Hello Elaine! And Happy April!

Enjoyed your post very much. I'm looking forward to P for Pestilence! I know some people I would like to visit pestilence upon! He he he.

Thanks for the follow, following back.

Cheers-

Lana D.
soberchronicfabulous.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

Very well stated. How much time do we waste fretting over aging when instead would could be celebrating life. That's what I would considering "Aging Gracefully". Doesn't mean I'm going to stop coloring my grays in my hair though. LOL

I'll be back frequently as you are just above me on the list of participants. Hope to see you stop by my blog.

Lisa
Inspired By Lisa A-Z

Nofretiri said...

Hi Elaine,

I'd say, you can age in more than one way:
1. Of course, your body, your cells are aging.
2. But more important, your brain, your thoughts, your blieves also age. This can be good, when it means progress and developement. BUT it's also bad, when I meet some people, even young ones, with ancient believes or a very limited horizon! That really makes me sad!

In my opinion, a person should really take much more care about his/her mental age. Grown up, yes! But not senile!

Happy weekend & good luck for the challenge!

Karin @ Nofretiris Dream Of Writing

Julie Flanders said...

Hi Elaine, and Happy April! I love your post, and I have to admit, I did flinch! I've struggled with aging issues, but am finally trying to get it through my head that the alternative to aging is certainly worse. I need to focus on being grateful for being alive and having the opportunity to age, something I'm trying very hard to do! But, like Lisa, I'm still going to color my gray hairs, and scowl every time I see a new one! :D

Great post, and best of luck with the rest of the challenge. I'm looking forward to reading more!

Wicked Stepmother said...

Thank you for this wonderful post! My 30's are interesting as the idea of aging becomes more and more pressing. And yet I wouldn't go back to the uncertain, angsty years of my teens and twenties for anything. (Well maybe if I could be a butt kicking super hero) But then again who says I can't be a butt kicking super hero now?! Love the post, great thoughts to marinate in today!

unnamed lad said...

hi Elaine:)

i like your positive attitude and you're off to a great start! my pet name for it is "senior slippage."

yeah...i flinched as well.

Rebecca Dupree said...

Beautiful post. My husband always says he's not getting older than 30, but I think growing older is a beautiful thing. Maybe because I work around teenagers, and I would never want to live through that again!

JL Dodge said...

Yep I may be aging, but in my head I'm still a kid !!
Nice post, we will return !!
JL&B

Aurora Smith said...

I like myself more the older I get!

Anonymous said...

I feel like I really only started to live in my late 40's. By the same token it would be nice to be reborn in some parallel universe where the norm was Benjamin Button.

Arlee Bird said...

You make great points here. Aging does have its disadvantages, but it's not really that bad.


Contrary to my usual practice of subscribing to comments, to save time during challenge I will not be doing so during April. If you want to respond to my comment , please email me directly from your email notification for the comment.
Thanks.

Lee
Tossing It Out
Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

g-girl said...

it's discouraging to me how little we value aging and the great lengths people go to to keep themselves looking young. it doesn't help that these particular people are plastered all over our tv screens.