Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Friday, August 12, 2011

Late Summer Walk


Yesterday,
I walked,
... outside,
... in the cool,
... in the morning,
... in my neighborhood

... and it was grand!

See for yourself.

It starts with good walking shoes for my bad feet.
These look like just regular old shoes,
but there are prescription orthotics inside each shoe - $400,
and the shoes are the best I can buy $150.
So each foot is sporting about $225 dollars.
It has been quite a while since I could shop at Pay Less for shoes.

Take another look at those shoes! Now they look better, don't you think? :-)

I haven't walked outside for quite awhile due to the intensely hot weather and poor air quality. My exercise has been limited to Curves and my treadmill.
But ...
The day was perfect. And I realized just how much I missed walking outdoor. I live in a neighborhood that is about 25 years old. As a result, much of my walk is deeply shaded, a wonderful benefit of living in an established neighborhood.

My walk takes me past a local pool. The pool is still open for the season, but in not too long a time the lounge chairs will be permanently packed away for the season. Mid August for me is the waning days of summer. Soon school starts and even though official start of Fall is several weeks away, Fall starts for me - with September.
But the fruits of the spring plantings and summer waterings are reaching their peak now.
In our neighborhood this bed of flowers is one of the few
that isn't covered with deer-retardant netting.
Deer are a real problem in our area,
as most houses back up to a deeply wooded watershed.

External house ornamentation abounds.
Bird houses are everywhere
even though I never see a bird taking up residence in one.

Well ... maybe this trio might house a bird or two.

I love the colorful "mushrooms" that grace one neighbor's yard.
Even this spider seems to be making the home stead better.
At least she/he doesn't have any grass to water or mow.
The morning sun light of late summer is almost perfect.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy it while it lasts. There is a difference in the air now....rats!!! Love the birdhouses.

unsure of the future said...

We'll still be in summer full force for a couple more months here in FL...even after the calendar says it's fall! Your walk looks lovely :)

Laura said...

I'm enjoying the change in weather, but it so reminds me of autumn. I'll enjoy it while it lasts though!

Julie Flanders said...

Absolutely love these photos. What a wonderful walk! We finally had a break in the heat here as well and it's been such a treat to be outside in the nice weather.

Hope you have a nice weekend ahead! :)

Linda said...

So nice it is late Summer - can't wait for Fall myself. Looks like you had a lovely walk and are really enjoying your camera!

Chatty Crone said...

You have some expensive shoes there girlfriend - glad they are taking you where you want to go!

Noofy said...

Wow, I'd be sporting those shoes alot more at that price. It did feel nice the past couple of days to get out there and walk. You got some great pictures, love the spider web. Rain Sunday, and we need it. Hope there's a good movie marathon on.

g-girl said...

i love the sights you shared from your walk especially the bird houses and those mushrooms. :)