Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cornwall Stroll Update

A View From My Walk - on a previous day I snapped a picture of a house I pass by frequently. They always have a light showing in this window and I love the look of it. So inviting on a gray day!





A Stroll Through Cornwall Update and other stuff
So this morning I was 30 in a field of 61 participants - right in the middle of the pack. That is not too bad for me on day 3 of the competition and a slow start (low step counts the first 2 days). But placement is a very fluid thing in these Walker Tracker competitions. Sometimes people don't get around to updating their step totals right away - so I could be further back in the pack.

But it is fun to participate and it is great fun to watch it play out on an actual map - the course of the walk is shown on a map of Cornwall and each participant's avatar is placed on the course in position based on the number of steps you entered. In the beginning it was difficult to find me on the map because everyone was bunched together at the start of the walk, but now we are spreading out some and it is a bit easier to see who is who (just like in an actual race you see on TV). If you are interested in seeing this in action, click on my Walker Tracker link in the right column of my blog and you should be able to find the Competitions section ... just click on through. I don't think you need to be an actual member to see these competitions. I did up my membership on this site from Free to Pro. The Free version is very functional and I had that level for about 2 years. Pro gives you additional statistics about your walking history and the ability to easily enter non-walking activities (such as Tai Chi) into your step counts. That is a huge help for folks who do multiple activities - such as swimming or biking or something that doesn't count steps but actually is a work out. A great site for walkers of any level. And these competitions along with the pedometer itself, really motivate you to keep walking ( hmm ... well it keeps competitive people walking. I don't want to be at the back of the pack when the competition is done.) :-)

So I didn't sleep too well last night. Asleep at 1:00 am and up at 6:15 am. I was too wired up from yesterday. Today should be less eventful - a walk first thing this morning, shopping with Mike before lunch, a stop to buy dog food, lunch for mom, maybe get mom to the bank, probably a short rest in the early afternoon (I will start crashing with only 5 hours of sleep), and Tai Chi in the afternoon. And if I am lucky, very lucky, I can squeeze in some knitting. What I haven't been able to do is squeeze spinning into any days. My poor new spinning wheel!

I wonder how my poor Meaty did last night. After yesterday, I am keeping my fingers crossed that his sleep was uninterrupted.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I hope Meaty is doing better today and that you have a calmer evening, sure sounds like a busy day ahead! I have managed to get some spinning in after work every night this week so far - that is always a great de stresser for me. Wish we were close enough so I could spin with you regularly - even irregularly!