Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Weave-Its


Today I learned to weave-it on a Weave-It Loom!

I am hoping that I am not the only person east of the Grand Canyon who didn't know what a Weave-It loom was before this month. At 63 I kind of thought I knew everything, so finding out about this little gizmo and then finding out that I was pretty much the last person in my knitting group who was clueless about a Weave-It was stunning to me! Apparently everyone (except me) played with this little loom as a child. I think I must have been deprived!

Anyway, one of my friends, Happy One, was working on this little loom and recently showed off a beautiful blanket made from the little squares the loom makes. She was making it from left over yarn. And then I found an article in a magazine that featured the loom, the history and value of items made from a Weave-It. I had to have one - and the fact they aren't making them anymore didn't deter me one bit. I just had to have one now!! Turns out original ones from the 50s can be found on the secondary market, but eBay had a seller who made them - on a "Buy it now" purchase! Click! And it was mine. "Buy it now" was just made for me.

I made my first square today - 1 down, 199 more to go














Thank you HappyOne for teaching me this!!

3 comments:

Anita said...

Looks like fun. I don't think I ever had an actual Weave-It, but it looks familiar. I had some plastic job with a heddle (I think it was called; a plastic piece that was hinged on to the frame), and before that I made the loop potholders with a metal square and a hook. Neither of those is still around. We used things till they broke or wore out or we gave them to younger relatives. At one time I made scarves on a tabletop loom. Who knew such things'd be worth big money some day?

Retired Knitter said...

Anita, you should check out this Weave-It. Happy One is making a beautiful blanket. And it is easy and relaxing - even the first time through it wasn't stressful.

happyone said...

Your welcome. Your first one came out like you've been making them for years!! Well done!!