Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Sunday, August 1, 2010

My spinning wheel has a "birth-mark"!


Well the assembly of the spinning wheel has hit a snag. There is a spring-y thing-y that I can't seem to get attached properly.

The wheel comes partially assembled and with assembly instructions and tools. But the instructions come with a cover sheet that says in BOLDED, ITALICIZED AND UNDERLINED, and over-sized print, that the distributor wants to help you if you have questions, they give a phone number and the whole sheet is filled with assurances that they want your spinning wheel experience to positive - so please call if you have questions with assembly!! hmmm .....

I am always suspicious of overly-formatted text. I can't help but wonder if the writer thinks you can't read it unless it is big, or pick out the important parts without help, or maybe added emphasis is the goal - but it always looks like yelling to me, or ... (and here is what I really think is going on with the spinning wheel instructions) ... the assembly instructions are a bit convoluted and are not easily understood by a non-spinner.

Thankfully I am seeing my cousin on Saturday who is handy at tinkering and experienced in spinning. If I am unsuccessful this week, she will rescue me! On the up-side. The walnut stain is beautiful and the wheel is beautiful. I did notice a small ding on one of the wood pedals. I am treating it as 'birth-mark" ... I think I will love this wheel when it is put together. I will let you know when it is "born".

Total Steps:

1 comment:

happyone said...

Good luck with the spinning wheel. Hope you figured it out. I look forward to hearing all about it tomorrow morning!