Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Monday, August 23, 2010

Lake walk and my feet!


Severe boredom with walking around my neighborhood set in. I usually don't like getting in the car to go someplace to walk, but I am going to have to get past that. After 25 years living here, I am ready for new views.


So, this morning my husband and I walked around Lake Elkhorn - twice. It took an hour. Come fall we should be able to walk to the lake, then around it and back home in about 90 minutes. That is my goal when the weather is more agreeable and my fitness levels are higher.


















I mostly wanted to see how the lake dredging project was coming. This man-made lake has not had any loving care since it was built. Development and storm erosion have caused alot of silt build up. Now millions of dollars are being spent for the restoration. Other man-made lakes in our city are being dredged or scheduled for dredging because they have suffered the same neglect.

Lake Elkhorn is a beautiful lake - shaded paths, benches, a very large playground, various exercise stations and a small pier make it an idea gathering place. But the pictures I chose were of the lake itself - where there is no reflection on the water, there is a green scum. Sad. The lake has the constant hum of big machinery that works 24/7. In many ways the lake seems abandon by the wildlife and walkers that used to inhabit it.

The work is supposed to be completed in December 2010. Then it should be born again as a gathering place for all living things.
My right foot made little "noises" during the walk - I had taken Advil before starting (and I was wearing my prescription orthotics) and I am now icing down both feet while I type. If symptoms persist, no matter how small, I'll be back at the podiatrist again. It has been almost 2 years since I visited him - but I am pretty sure he will remember me ... the "instant fix" lady who mentioned "brain tumors-in-relation-to-her-feet" lady. He'll remember. :-)

1 comment:

happyone said...

I've walked around that lake many times. When I lived in Savage I would walk there, then around the lake and my husband would pick me up. It was 4 1/2 miles to the lake so there and back plus around the lake would have taken too long!!
Glad you were able to get out and walk again.
See you tomorrow!